Empower your competency in practicing EUS
Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) enables the physician to image and biopsy various abnormalities within or adjacent to the gastrointestinal tract. The field of interventional EUS has advanced rapidly with the continuous development of new techniques. It’s use has expanded from diagnostic sampling into the field of therapeutic procedures. Due to the increased complexity of advanced therapeutic procedures, skillful utilization of these techniques is critical. With the aim to produce highly trained endoscopists, the Department of Medicine and the Pancreas Research Unit at the Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University are offering special training to develop advanced endoscopic skills and competency.
- To understand the full potential of EUS application in clinical use
- To be able to perform EUS via hands-on training on realistic in-vivo models and patients under supervision
- To be able to use EUS appropriately for patient management
What to Learn
The 6-month training is offered twice each year (January – June and July – December). The trainee will gain knowledge and skill in practicing EUS and handling patient as well as the experience on related academic and clinical activities.
- Review on the pre-requisite requirement:
- Knowledge and attitude in examining the patient at the out-patient or in-patient clinics (e.g. summary of health records, physical examination and important tests)
- Communication with the patient about the procedure, risks, benefits and post-operative follow up
- Practice in writing EUS registration record and logbook
- EUS insights and experience:
- Knowledge required to integrate EUS into clinical practice
- Understanding of the real clinical settings of diagnostic and/ or therapeutic EUS
- Hands-on practice for different EUS procedures
- Identification of pathological EUS images
- Indications, techniques and results of the procedures in diagnostic and/or therapeutic EUS
- Potential pitfalls and complications of EUS
- Academic and clinical activities associated:
- Participation and presentation in GI and/or multi-disciplinary conference
- Giving seminar on EUS related papers
- Interactive theoretical and clinical sessions on hot topics
- Difficult clinical case discussions
- Participation in one prospective study and two retrospective studies
Certification will be issued upon completing the full course and satisfactorily demonstrating the EUS skill and competency.
A fee is charged to cover registration and tuition fee for EUS training and the course on Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2 (code 3020843), including the operating costs.
Who Should Apply
The course is intended for experienced endoscopists who would like to train in diagnostic or advanced EUS under experts’ close supervision. Eligible applicant must have medical degree with a board certification in internal medicine/gastroenterology or in surgery, and works in academic institution or public hospital. It is essential that the applicant has the ability to pass side-viewing duodenoscope into the gastrointestinal tract of patient smoothly. A supporting letter reflecting the need in attending the course is required from the affiliated institution. The final candidate selection is based on his/her resume and interview performance. For successful candidate from abroad, a health certificate and adequate proof of health insurance coverage are required before enrollment.
Assoc. Prof. Pradermchai Kongkam, MD
Department of Internal Medicine and Pancreas Research Unit
Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University
- Prof. Rungsun Rerknimitr, MD
- Prof. Sombat Treeprasertsuk, MD, PhD
- Assoc. Prof. Wiriyaporn Ridtitid, MD